Design Team Fund
Rahul Behal, VP Finance|
Omar Abdelaziz, Funds Director
|Allocators||Design Team Fund Committee|
|Who can apply||EUS Recognized Design Teams|
The Design Team Fund is an EUS fund which exists to provide financial support to design teams! The funding is allocated by the Design Team Fund Committee (DTFC) to teams that have design team status, have submitted their budget, and have a sponsorship package for the year. Funds are distributed according to the Design Team Fund Bylaws.
Design Team Fund Committee
The Design Team Fund Committee (DTFC) consists of the EUS President, VP Finance, and VP Student Life, as well as one representative from each design team, and is chaired and organized by the Funds Director. In addition to voting on proposals, the DTFC also votes on design team status at the Design Team Fund meeting. Although this has been done as one vote in the past, the new DTFC structure allows for the status vote to be done by secret ballot.
The DTFC meets once per semester, normally about halfway through. Written applications are submitted first, followed by a meeting of the DTFC to deliberate the allocation of the funds.
- General expectations
- A representative is present at the meeting to present and answer questions
- No late submissions are accepted
- Additional sources of funding outside the EUS are sought after
Example Funds Request
Here is an example bundle of files you would submit to the DTFC:
- File:DTFC Application ex.pdf
- File:DTFC Presentation ex.pdf
- File:DTFC SponsorshipPackage ex.pdf
- Budgets from this year & last
DTF allocation is based on diversity, size, and performance of each design team. This is outlined in the next section, however, if you would like to make changes to this system, make sure to contact the Design Team Director and VP Student Life before the DTFC meeting date.
The total amount available in the fund for a semester is split into 3 categories:
- Base (35%)
- Diversity and Size (25%)
- Performance (40%)
- The base, 35% of the total fund, is evenly split among all design teams.
- Diversity and Size
- A quarter of the fund is allocated based on team size and diversity. A design team's score for this section is calculated by multiplying the diversity multiplier of a department by the number of team members in that department. The department multiplier varies from 0.25 to 4 and is calculated by dividing that department's portion of undergraduate students by its portion of design teams. This means that if MFE has 20 bioengineers on their team and bioengineers make up 20% of the EUS but only 10% of design team members, MFE's bioengineering score would be 20 * 20% / 10% = 40. This calculation is done for each department and summed for each design team. These relative scores determine a team's funding (a higher score means more money!).
- A design team's performance dictates the split of the remaining 40% of the fund. A team's score on performance is the sum of the total number of competitions the team attended in the 2 previous years and the team's top 3 competition scores. Competition scores are calculated by dividing the total number of competitors at a competition to the power of 0.67 by the team's rank to the power of 1.5 (for a max per comp score of 4). Again a higher score means more money!