TechFair Committee Policy
|What is a policy?|
- 1 Article 1: Definitions
- 2 Article 2: Purpose
- 3 Article 3: Membership
- 4 Article 4: Duties of the Executive Committee
- 5 Article 5: Selection of the Executive Committee
- 6 Article 6: Replacement of Members
- 7 Article 7: Finances
- 8 Article 8: Superseding Clause
- 9 Article 9: Amendments
- 10 Article 10: Interpretation
ENGINEERING UNDERGRADUATE SOCIETY OF MCGILL UNIVERSITY TECHFAIR COMMITTEE Policy Adopted July 2018 by EUS Board of Governors
Article 1: Definitions
- 1.1 The Engineering Undergraduate Society of McGill University (hereafter “EUS”) is the registered name of the non-for-profit corporation representing the engineering and architecture undergraduate students at McGill University.
- 1.2 The Board of Governors of the EUS (“Board of Governors”) is the administrative board of the Engineering Undergraduate Society of McGill University which is composed of Administrators as defined by the EUS Constitution.
- 1.3 The EUS shall recognise all Departmental Societies, Clubs, and Design Teams set forth in the relevant articles of the EUS Constitution as EUS Groups.
- 1.4 The McGill Engineering Student Centre (“MESC”) is the student advising centre for the engineering students of McGill University.
- 1.5 The Engineering Career Centre (“ECC”) is the branch of MESC which provides engineering students with career advancement opportunities.
- 1.6 The Computer Science Undergraduate Society (“CSUS”) is the student society representing the Computer Science students at McGill University.
- 1.7 The McGill Engineering Tech Fair (“TechFair”) is the bi-annual technological student employment fair hosted in collaboration by EUS, ECC, and CSUS.
- 1.8 The organising committee of TechFair (“TechFair Committee”) is a committee of the EUS which assists in the planning, finances, and management of TechFair.
Article 2: Purpose
- 2.1 The TechFair Committee shall:
- 2.1.1 Organize the bi-annual TechFair in partnership with ECC and CSUS;
- 2.1.2 Organize a bi-annual speed networking event for engineering students with a focus on consulting and engineering sales;
- 2.1.3 Contact pertinent companies to solicit their attendance at TechFair;
- 2.1.4 Secure a venue for TechFair;
- 2.1.5 Advertise and promote TechFair by distributing information on invited companies through the appropriate channels;
- 2.1.6 Recruit volunteers for the days of the event; and
- 2.1.7 Perform necessary follow-ups, including but not limited to organizational partners and attendees.
Article 3: Membership
- 3.1 The TechFair Committee shall consist of:
- 3.1.1 The Chair;
- 3.1.2 The Co-Chair;
- 3.1.3 The Vice President Communications (“VP Communication”s);
- 3.1.4 The Vice President External (“VP External”);
- 3.1.5 The Vice President Finance (“VP Finance”);
- 3.1.6 The Vice President Internal (“VP Internal”);
- 3.1.7 The Vice President Liaison (“VP Liaison”);
- 3.1.8 The Vice President Logistics (“VP Logistics”);
- 3.1.9 The Vice President Operations (“VP Operations”);
- 3.1.10 The IT Director.
- 3.2 The terms of office of the members of the committee as listed in Article 3.1 shall begin on May 1st and end on April 30th of the following year.
Article 4: Duties of the Executive Committee
- 4.1 The Chair(s) shall:
- 4.1.1 Call and lead committee meetings;
- 4.1.2 Act as Financial Officers of the committee;
- 4.1.3 Oversee the actions of the committee.
- 4.2 The VP Communications shall:
- 4.2.1 Promote the committee’s events through appropriate channels.
- 4.3 The VP External shall:
- 4.3.1 Network with corporate entities;
- 4.3.2 Manage the organisation of speed networking events.
- 4.4 The VP Finance shall:
- 4.4.1 Manage the budget according to EUS Financial bylaws; and
- 4.4.2 Act as a Financial Officer of the committee.
- 4.5 The VP Internal shall:
- 4.5.1 Take minutes of TechFair committee meetings;
- 4.5.2 Arrange tabling and bookings for all TechFair activities.
- 4.6 The VP Liaison shall:
- 4.6.1 Maintain clear lines of communication with the EUS, CSUS, and ECC.
- 4.7 The VP Logistics shall:
- 4.7.1 Recruit, train and manage volunteers.
- 4.8 The VP Operations shall:
- 4.8.1 Organize coat-check at the TechFair venue.
- 4.9 The IT Director shall:
- 4.9.1 Manage wireless access at events.
Article 5: Selection of the Executive Committee
- 5.1 Incoming chair(s) shall be selected by the current Chair(s), a representative of the ECC, and the incoming Vice-President Academic of the EUS according to the Selection Committee Policy of the EUS.
- 5.2 The positions of Vice-President Communications, Vice-President Logistics, and Vice-President Internal shall be selected by the incoming Chair(s), the current Chair(s), a representative of the ECC, and the incoming Vice-President Academic of the EUS according to the Selection Committee Policy of the EUS.
- 5.3 The positions of Vice-President External, Vice-President Finance, Vice-President Liaison, Vice-President Operations, and IT Director shall be chosen at the discretion of the incoming Chair(s).
Article 6: Replacement of Members
- 6.1 In the event of a vacancy on the committee, the position shall be filled as soon as possible, subject to a unanimous vote of the Chair(s) and the ECC representative.
- 6.2 Members of the committee may be removed from their positions subject to a unanimous vote of the Chair(s) and the ECC representative.
- 6.2.1 The Chair of the committee may be removed from their position subject to a unanimous decision by the Vice-President Academic of the EUS and the ECC representative.
- 6.2.2 Ground for impeachment may include, but are not limited to, impropriety, delinquency of duties, or violation of the provisions of the EUS Constitution, Bylaws, and Policies.
Article 7: Finances
- 7.1 The committee’s budget shall be maintained and presented as required in accordance with the Financial Bylaws of the EUS.
- 7.2 The committee shall strive to generate a profit from the organization of TechFair.
- 7.3 The costs of organizing TechFair shall be subsidized by:
- 7.3.1 Attendance fees charged to companies present at the event; and
- 7.3.2 Sponsorships solicited by the committee.
Article 8: Superseding Clause
- 8.1 This document supersedes any anterior version of the TechFair Committee Policy, formerly the TechFair Committee Bylaws.
Article 9: Amendments
- 9.1 Amendments to this policy shall be approved by a simple majority vote of the Board of Governors.
Article 10: Interpretation
- 10.1 In the case of a conflict between this policy and the following documents, the following documents prevail in the order in which they are listed:
- 10.1.1 The Quebec Companies Act;
- 10.1.2 The EUS Letters Patent;
- 10.1.3 The EUS Constitution.