Student Space Fund Accounts Policy
|What is a policy?|
ENGINEERING UNDERGRADUATE SOCIETY OF MCGILL UNIVERSITY Student Space Fund Accounts’ Policy Adopted 09/2017
Article 1: Definitions
- 1.1 The Engineering Undergraduate Society of McGill University (hereafter referred as “EUS”) is the registered name of the non-for-profit corporation representing the engineering and architecture undergraduate students at McGill University
- 1.2 The Board of Governors of the EUS is the administrative board of the Engineering Undergraduate Society of McGill University which is composed of Administrators as defined by the EUS Constitution
- 1.3 EUS Groups shall be defined as officially recognized groups under the EUS Constitution such as Clubs & Design Teams, Departmental Societies
- 1.4 The Student Space Fund Committee (hereafter referred to as the “SSFC”) is a committee of the Engineering Undergraduate Society that administers the Student Space Fund Short Term Account.
Article 2: Membership
- 2.1 Membership of the SSFC is defined in the Student Space Fund (SSF) Bylaws.
Article 3: Allocation of the SSF Short Term Account
- 3.1 The SSFC shall approve a list of proposals for allotment from the SSF Short Term Account according to the procedure outlined hereafter, and shall present the list to EUS Council for ratification.
- 3.2 SSFC application specifications, and procedures shall be described in an internal policy document named “Student Space Fund Short Term Account Policy”
- 3.3 A public application process must be set to accept funding requests for expenditures from the SSF Short Term Account:
- 3.3.1 The application process shall be available for at least three (3) weeks before the SSFC meets
- 3.3.2 Applicants for each proposal shall be invited to present their proposals at the SSFC meeting
- 3.4 Funding requests to the SSF Short Term Account must have a 5% contingency, before tax, added to the proposal
- 3.5 The SSF Short Term Account shall accept funding requests for proposals under $3,500, before tax, including a 5% contingency
- 3.6 Funding requests for purchases which have already been made shall be permitted, with the following caveats:
- 3.6.1 The purchase must have been made during the current fiscal year
- 3.6.2 The SSFC shall in no way be obliged to approve funding on the basis that the purchase has already been made
- 3.7 The applicants shall have five (5) school days to appeal the allotment of the SSF Short Term Account
- 3.7.1 The appeal must be submitted in writing to the Chair of the SSFC
- 3.7.2 The appeal shall be reviewed by the EUS Council, whose decision shall be final.
- 3.8 A permanent recognition of the Student Space Fund should be placed in any space that is improved by the Fund.
- 3.9 EUS Service Committees and Open Air Pub Committee shall not be allowed to apply to the SSF Short Term Account.
Article 4: Duties of the Student Space Fund Committee
- 4.1 The Chair shall:
- 4.1.1 Chair the SSFC meetings;
- 4.1.2 Set and distribute the agenda for the SSFC meetings and inform all members as to the dates and times for these meetings at least five (5) school days in advance;
- 4.1.3 Advise and instruct all members of the SSFC, to ensure that they are able to perform their duties and enable the SSFC to be as effective as possible;
- 4.1.4 Ensure the entire application procedure for funding requests for expenditures from the SSF Short Term Account of the Student Space Fund is followed as per Article 4;7
- 4.1.5 Collect funding requests for expenditures from the SSF Short Term Account of the Student Space Fund, and distribute these to the members of the SSFC at least three (3) school days in advance of meetings;
- 4.1.6 Call for additional funding requests in the event that a surplus exists in the SSF Short Term Account;
- 4.1.7 Ensure that permanent recognition of the the SSF Short Term Account should be placed in any space that is improved by the Fund;
- 4.1.8 Ensure the existence, the purpose and the application process of the SSF Short Term Account is must be promoted to the entire membership of the EUS;
- 4.1.9 Take responsibility for any tasks not assigned to a member of the committee or left unfulfilled by the committee.
- 4.2 The Vice President Finance of the EUS shall:
- 4.2.1 Prepare the allocation of the SSF Short Term Account for every semester;
- 4.2.2 Oversee the financial management of the Student Space Fund accounts;
- 4.2.3 Disburse the funds after ratification by the Board of Governors.
- 4.3 The EUS Space Director shall:
- 4.3.1 Be educated on the finances and needs of the Common Room and current EUS Meeting Spaces such as, but not limited to, “Infosys” and, “Committee Room”, and “Clubs Hub”;
- 4.3.2 Submit funding requests to the SSFC Chair for improvement to these current spaces
available to engineering undergraduate students.
- 4.4 The EUS Clubs and Design Team Representatives(s) shall:
- 4.4.1 Be educated and represent on the needs of the M.E.D.N. (including design laboratories) and Engineering Clubs Office;
- 4.5 All voting members, including the members-at-large shall:
- 4.5.1 Make an effort to become informed of the needs of members of the Society with regards to student space needs.
- 4.5.2 Encourage members at large of the Society to submit applications for appropriate student space improvements in accordance to the procedure outlined in Article 47 and Article 10
- 4.6 If for any reason a member cannot attend the SSFC meetings or cannot perform their duties, the member in question should must find a proxy.
- 4.7 All expenses incurred by the operation of the SSF by the SSFC, for the legitimate business of the SSF, such as its promotion, shall be paid for by the operating budget of the Vice President Finance of the EUS’s operating budget., as approved by the EUS Council.
Article 5: Budget
- 5.1 All expenses incurred by the operation of the SSF by the SSFC, for the legitimate business of the SSF, such as its promotion, shall be paid for by the operating budget of the Vice President Finance of the EUS
Article 6: Amendments
- 6.1 Amendments to this policy must be approved by a simple majority vote of the Board of Governors of the EUS
Article 7: Interpretation
- 7.1 In the case of a conflict between this policy and the following documents, the following documents prevail in the order they are listed in:
- 7.1.1 The Quebec Companies Act
- 7.1.2 The EUS Letters Patent
- 7.1.3 The EUS Constitution
- 7.1.4 The EUS Bylaws