Selection Committee Policy
(Redirected from Selection Committee)
|What is a policy?|
- 1 Article 1: Definitions
- 2 Article 2: Purpose
- 3 Article 3: Membership
- 4 Article 4: Position Advertising
- 5 Article 5: Candidate Screening
- 6 Article 6: Budget
- 7 Article 7: Deliberation
- 8 Article 8: Budget
- 9 Article 9: Budget
- 10 Article 10: Scheduling
- 11 Article 11: Confidentiality
- 12 Article 12: Amendments
- 13 Article 13: Interpretation
ENGINEERING UNDERGRADUATE SOCIETY OF MCGILL UNIVERSITY SELECTION COMMITTEE POLICY Adopted February 2008, Amended August 2015, August 2017
Article 1: Definitions
- 1.1 The Engineering Undergraduate Society of McGill University (hereafter referred as “ EUS ”) is the registered name of the non-for-profit corporation representing the engineering and architecture undergraduate students at McGill University
- 1.2 The Board of Governors of the EUS is the administrative board of the Engineering Undergraduate Society of McGill University which is composed of Administrators as defined by the EUS Constitution
- 1.3 The EUS shall recognise all Departmental Societies, Clubs, and Design Teams set forth in the relevant articles of the EUS Constitution as EUS Groups
- 1.4 Executive Selection Committee (ESC) shall be the Selection Committee of the Engineering Undergraduate Society (EUS) which selects the Vice President Finance
- 1.5 Organizer Selection Committee (OSC) shall be the Selection Committee of the EUS that selects Chief Organizers for each Organizing Committee of the Engineering Undergraduate Society.
- 1.6 Services Selection Committee (SSC) shall be the Selection Committee of the EUS which selects the Head Manager(s) for each Service of the Engineering Undergraduate Society.
- 1.7 Special Selection Committee (SpSC) shall be the Selection Committee struck by EUS Council, as needed, to fill any vacant positions selected by ESC, OSC and SSC within the Engineering Undergraduate Society
- 1.8 Appeal Selection Committee (ASC) shall be the Selection Committee struck as a result of an appeal of a decision of the aforementioned Selection Committees
- 1.9 Regular Selection Committee (RSC) shall be the Selection Committee of the EUS that selects any vacant position inside the EUS not selected by the ESC, OSC, SSC, SpSC.
- 1.10 Delegation Selection Committee (DSC) shall be the Selection Committee of the EUS that selects the McGill Delegation to the Canadian Federation of Engineering Societies Congress, the Conference on Diversity and Equity, the Quebec Engineering Competition and the Canadian Engineering Competition
- 1.11 Selection Committee shall be the general term for the ESC, OSC, SSC, SpSC and RSC
- 1.12 Regular Selection Period shall be from February 1st until the last day of classes of the Winter semester during which the ESC, the OSC and SSC shall perform their mandate.
- 1.13 Special Selection Period shall be held at the discretion of the Executive Committee
Article 2: Purpose
- 2.1 Selection Committees of the Engineering Undergraduate Society shall select regular members of the EUS to fill the positions as outlined in Article 1. 2.1.1. In the absence of a Regular Member for a position, an Associated Member may be chosen for a Service or Committee, as per the EUS Constitution.
Article 3: Membership
- 3.1 The EUS Council shall select the Members-at-Large of a given Selection Committee from amongst the regular members of the EUS at a meeting of the EUS Council
- 3.1.1 Members-at-Large of the ESC, OSC and SSC shall be chosen after the election of the new EUS Executive committee
- 3.2 Members of a Selection Committee shall make every effort to advertise the positions available
- 3.3 Any Selection Committee shall consist of at least 3 members of the EUS.
- 3.4 Each member of a Selection Committee shall have one (1) vote
- 3.5 The ESC shall consist of:
- 3.5.1 The President, who shall act as Chair
- 3.5.2 Incumbent members of the Executive Committee
- 3.5.3 Members-elect of the Executive Committee
- 3.5.4 Any number of Members-at-Large as deemed appropriate by the Chair
- 3.6 The OSC shall consist of:
- 3.6.1 The Executive-in-Charge of the Organizing Committee in question, who shall act as Chair
- 3.6.2 The Executive in Charge elect of the committee in question
- 3.6.3 The incumbent Chief Organizer of the committee in question
- 3.6.4 Any number of Members-at-Large as deemed appropriate by the Chair
- 3.7 The SSC shall consist of:
- 3.7.1 The incumbent VP-Services, who shall act as Chair
- 3.7.2 The VP Services-elect
- 3.7.3 The President
- 3.7.4 The Head Manager of the service in question
- 3.7.5 Any number of Members-at-Large as deemed appropriate by the Chair
- 3.8 The ASC shall consist of:
- 3.8.1 The President, who shall act as Chair
- 3.8.2 One other member of the Executive Committee
- 3.8.3 Any number of Members-at-Large as deemed appropriate by the Chair
- 3.9 The SpSC shall consist of:
- 3.9.1 The President, who shall act as Chair, or a person of their choosing to act as proxy
- 3.9.2 One other member of the Executive Committee
- 3.9.3 Any number of Members-at-Large as deemed appropriate by the Chair
- 3.10 The RSC shall consist of
- 3.10.1 Exec-in-charge of the committee or the EUS position in question, who shall act as Chair, or a person of their choosing to act as proxy
- 3.10.2 One other member of the Executive Committee
- 3.10.3 Any number of Members-at-Large as deemed appropriate by the Chair
- 3.11 The membership of the DSC shall be defined in their respective Bylaws.
- 3.12 Quorum for a Selection Committee shall be half the number of members on the committee plus one (1)
Article 4: Position Advertising
- 4.1 The Committee Advertising Campaign shall promote membership in the committee or the EUS position in question through the Pipeline and shall contain information about committee or the position and the application process
- 4.2 The Committee Advertising Campaign shall be the responsibility of the Chair of the Selection Committee and members of the Committee
- 4.3 Advertising may include the following activities
- 4.3.1 Class announcements made to promote membership in the committees
- 4.3.2 Posting posters encouraging committee involvement, through the Engineering Complex, Trottier and Wong engineering buildings
- 4.3.3 Printing articles in the Plumber’s Ledger containing information about committees and how to apply for the positions therein
- 4.3.4 Any other EUS mode of communication available
Article 5: Candidate Screening
- 5.1 All candidates must complete and submit a EUS Committee Application Form during the prescribed application period
- 5.2 A Selection Committee may reject an applicant prior to the interview if it deems that applicant to have put insufficient effort into properly completing the application form
- 5.3 The Chair may call an Application Review Meeting if it is deemed necessary to review any applications for possible rejection prior to interview
- 5.4 Quorum for an Application Review Meeting shall be the quorum as set by article 3.11
- 5.5 Application Review Meetings shall be considered confidential.
- 5.6 The rejection of an applicant prior to interview shall require a two-thirds (2/3) majority vote in favor at an Application Review meeting
Article 6: Budget
- 6.1 All members of a Selection Committee shall be provided with a confidentiality waiver to be signed at the beginning of each of the sessions
- 6.2 Interviews shall be considered closed, and no record of the proceedings shall be published or made public.
- 6.3 Each candidate for a position shall be asked the identical set of questions. Only questions pertaining to specific information in a candidate’s application may be posed to one candidate and not all others.
Article 7: Deliberation
- 7.1 After the completion of all the interviews, the SC shall meet to deliberate and select from amongst the candidates
- 7.2 No records of the deliberations shall be kept, and no record of the proceedings other than the final decision of the SC shall be published or made public
- 7.3 No member of the Selection Committee who was not present for the interviews with every candidate for a given position may vote in the proceedings
Article 8: Budget
- 8.1 The final decisions of each Selection Committee shall be posted following the conclusion of its session
- 8.2 The decisions of the Selection Committee shall also be presented by the Chair of the SC or the Exec-in-Charge during the “Reports from Committees” agenda item at the next meeting of the EUS Council
- 8.3 Decisions made in favor of an Associated Member of the EUS shall be subject to ratification by EUS Council, as prescribed by the EUS Constitution
- 8.4 During meetings of the EUS Council, any procedural questions will be permitted regarding the Selection Committee, and those questions will be answered only by the Chair of the Selection Committee or the Exec-in-Charge.
Article 9: Budget
- 9.1 Applicants who were rejected shall have five (5) school days to appeal the decision of a Selection Committee by submitting an appeal to the Chair of the ASC. The grounds for the appeal must be specified.
- 9.2 The ASC shall then re-interview all applicants for the position in question. Applicants shall be made aware of the appeal and the grounds cited for the appeal, and the questions asked during the interview shall be limited to those pertaining to the appeal
- 9.3 No new applications will be considered at this time.
- 9.4 The decision of the ASC following appeal deliberations shall be posted following the conclusion of the deliberation meeting.
- 9.5 Should the appealing party wish to further pursue the appeal, both the appealing party and the party which was chosen by the ASC shall be given speaking rights at the meeting of the EUS council during which the ASC decisions are to be ratified.
- 9.6 Ratification by the EUS Council shall be final and binding, and no further appeal shall be considered
Article 10: Scheduling
- 10.1 Advertising for the positions selected by the OSC shall take place during the three (3) weeks immediately following the Study Break
- 10.2 Executive, Organizer and Service Selection Committees must fulfill their mandate during the Regular Selection Period
- 10.3 The application periods shall last a minimum of:
- 10.3.1Eight (8) school days for ESC and SSC
- 10.3.2Five (5) school days for OSC
- 10.3.3Six (6) school days for a SpSC, to be determined at the discretion of EUS Council
- 10.3.4Five (5) school days for RSC
- 10.4 If one (1) or fewer applications are received for a particular position, the deadline shall be extended for at least two (2) school days
- 10.5 There must be at least 24 hours between the deliberation meeting and the results being made available to the candidate in private. And additional 24 hours shall be given until the results are made public.
- 10.6 There must be at least 24 hours between the posting of the decisions of the Selection Committee and the acceptance of an appeal form
Article 11: Confidentiality
- 11.1 All members of a Selection Committee, and any person attending an interview with the exception of those people being interviewed, shall be required to complete, sign and submit a confidentiality agreement.
- 11.2 Violation of the confidentiality agreement will subject the offender to consequences to be determined by the EUS Council.
Article 12: Amendments
- 12.1 Amendments to this policy must be approved by a simple majority vote of the Board of Governors
Article 13: Interpretation
- 13.1 In the case of a conflict between this policy and the following documents, the following documents prevail in the order they are listed in:
- 13.1.1 The Quebec Companies Act
- 13.1.2 The EUS Letters Patent
- 13.1.3 The EUS Constitution
- 13.1.4 The EUS Bylaws