McGill Engineering Competition MEC Policy
|What is a policy?|
Article 1: Definitions
- 1.1 The Engineering Undergraduate Society of McGill University (hereafter referred as “ EUS ”) is the registered name of the non-for-profit corporation representing the engineering and architecture undergraduate students at McGill University
- 1.2 The Board of Governors of the EUS is the administrative board of the Engineering Undergraduate Society of McGill University which is composed of Administrators as defined by the EUS Constitution
- 1.3 The EUS shall recognise all Departmental Societies, Clubs, and Design Teams set forth in the relevant articles of the EUS Constitution as EUS Groups
Article 2: Purpose
- 2.1 The MEC Committee shall organize two competitions: the McGill Engineering Competition and the McGill Engineering Competition Lite.
- 2.1.1 The McGill Engineering Competition shall take place in the Fall Semester of each academic year.
- 2.1.2 The McGill Engineering Competition Lite shall take place in the Winter semester of every academic year.
- 2.2 The Vice President External of the EUS shall be the executive responsible for the MEC Committee.
- 2.3 The purpose of the McGill Engineering Competition (MEC) Committee shall be:
- 2.3.1 To organize the McGill Engineering Competition with impartiality towards all aspects of the event, with the same categories as the Quebec Engineering Competition (“QEC”)
- 2.3.2 To design and organize the McGill Engineering Competition Lite that shall consist of intellectual challenges related to engineering, to be decided upon by the members of the committee.
- 2.3.3 To select and send a delegation from the Engineering Undergraduate Society of McGill University to the QEC.
- 2.3.4 To provide members of the EUS with opportunities to gain exposure and network with representatives from the engineering industry.
Article 3: Membership
- 3.1 There shall be a Chair of the MEC Committee (“MEC Chair”), and they shall be chosen by a Regular Selection Committee following the McGill Engineering Competition in the Fall semester, and shall remain as chair for both MEC and MEC Lite.
- 3.1.1 Priority for the position of MEC Chair shall be given to members with experience participating or organizing MEC or MEC Lite.
- 3.2 The following positions on the MEC Committee must be filled:
- 3.2.1 Competition Director
- 3.2.2 Vice President Finance
- 3.2.3 Vice President Logistics
- 3.2.4 Vice President Communications
- 3.2.5 A Category Director for each competition category
- 3.3 Additional committee positions may be created at the discretion of the MEC Chair to fulfill responsibilities as per Article 4.7.
- 3.4 Members of the MEC Committee shall be involved in the planning and organization of the MEC and MEC Lite, and may not compete in either event.
Article 4: Responsibilities
- 4.1 The responsibilities of the MEC Chair shall be:
- 4.1.1 To oversee the general organization of the McGill Engineering Competition and McGill Engineering Competition Lite.
- 4.1.2 To ensure that each member of the MEC Committee has a clear understanding of their duties.
- 4.1.3 To act as liaison with the McGill Engineering Student Center, alongside with the Vice President External of the EUS.
- 4.1.4 To find impartial judges for all competition categories, in collaboration with the Competition Directors.
- 4.1.5 To compile the official results of each competition category.
- 4.1.6 To submit an exit report summarizing the organization and outcome of the McGill Engineering Competition and McGill Engineering Competition Lite, following the end of the mandate.
- 4.2 The responsibilities of the Competition Director shall be:
- 4.2.1 To prepare each MEC competition category as per the pre-competition packages released by the Quebec Engineering Competition organizing committee (the “pre-QEC package”).
- 4.2.2 To prepare each MEC Lite competition category as per decided by the MEC Committee.
- 4.2.3 To acquire all tools and materials needed for each competition category, with the assistance of the Vice-President Logistics.
- 4.2.4 To recruit, inform and manage volunteers for all competition categories, with the assistance of the Category Directors.
- 4.2.5 To provide unbiased and equal level of information to all participants before and during the competition.
- 4.2.6 To assist the Category Directors during their competitions, whenever required.
- 4.3 The responsibilities of the Vice President Finance shall be:
- 4.3.1 To procure sponsorship for the McGill Engineering Competition and McGill Engineering Competition Lite.
- 4.3.2 To submit funding applications to the McGill Engineering Student Center, the Students Society of McGill University and other McGill funding sources deemed relevant.
- 4.3.3 To submit a budget request to the Vice President Finance including forecasts for the MEC and the following MEC Lite, to be run under the following MEC Committee.
- 4.3.4 To collect registration fees from the event participation.
- 4.3.5 To ensure that all aspects of the MEC remain within the committee budget.
- 4.3.6 To make deposits into the MEC account and submit cheque requisition forms, on behalf of the MEC Committee.
- 4.4 The responsibilities of the Vice President Logistics shall be:
- 4.4.1 To book all rooms and venues needed for all of the MEC and MEC Lite events and competitions.
- 4.4.2 To acquire all non-competition materials needed for the MEC and MEC Lite.
- 4.4.3 To assist the Competition Director with the acquisition of competition materials.
- 4.4.4 To ensure that MEC and MEC Lite events involving the consumption of alcohol abide by the rules set by the McGill Server Training Program.
- 4.5 The responsibilities of the Vice President Communications shall be:
- 4.5.1 To update and maintain the MEC website and social media accounts.
- 4.5.2 To prepare and distribute promotional material in both print and digital format, at least one month before the start of the MEC, and to the discretion of the Committee for the MEC Lite.
- 4.5.3 To prepare a sponsorship package for the MEC and MEC Lite, in collaboration with the Vice President Finance.
- 4.6 The responsibilities of each Category Director shall be:
- 4.6.1 To ensure that the judges for their category are properly informed and unbiased.
- 4.6.2 To answer general questions from participants, with impartiality.
- 4.6.3 To ensure the proper functioning of their competition category.
- 4.6.4 To manage and coordinate their respective category’s volunteers.
- 4.6.5 To ensure that judges follow their category’s marking scheme during MEC, as formulated in the pre-QEC package.
- 4.6.6 To clean up all spaces used by their competition category.
- 4.7 The responsibilities outlined may be delegated to other MEC Committee members, at the discretion of the Committee.
Article 5: Budget
- 5.1 The costs of organizing the MEC and MEC Lite shall be subsidized by, but not limited to:
Article 6: Amendments
- 6.1 Amendments to this policy must be approved by a simple majority vote of the Board of Governors of the EUS