Clubs and Design Team Bylaws
|What is a bylaw?|
The Clubs and Design Team Bylaws outlines the requirements and privileges of clubs and design teams within the EUS. This includes the procedures for the creation, dissolution, and representation of these groups.
- 1 TITLE I GENERAL
- 2 TITLE II EUS CLUBS
- 3 TITLE III DESIGN TEAMS
- 4 TITLE IV REPRESENTATIVES TO EUS COUNCIL
- 5 TITLE V AMENDMENTS AND INTERPRETATION
TITLE I GENERAL
Article 1: Definitions
- 1.1 The Engineering Undergraduate Society of McGill University (hereafter referred to as “EUS”) is the registered name of the non-for-profit corporation representing the engineering and architecture undergraduate students at McGill University
- 1.2 The Board of Governors of the EUS is the administrative board of the Engineering Undergraduate Society of McGill University which is composed of Administrators as defined by the EUS Constitution
- 1.3 EUS Groups shall be defined as officially recognized groups under the EUS Constitution such as Clubs & Design Teams, Departmental Societies
- 1.4 An Engineering Undergraduate Society Club (hereafter referred to as “EUS Club”) is defined as a group, composed of mainly Engineering Undergraduate students at McGill, which directly or indirectly benefits members of the EUS through organized activities.
- 1.5 An Engineering Undergraduate Society Design Team (hereafter referred to as “Design Team”) is defined as a group, composed of mainly Engineering Undergraduate students at McGill, which directly or indirectly benefits members of the EUS through competing in recognized engineering competitions.
- 1.6 The Engineering Undergraduate Design Team Fund (hereafter referred to as “DTFC”) is a fund composed of fees paid by Engineering undergraduate students, whose purpose is to financially support Engineering Design Teams at McGill, and is governed by its own set of Bylaws.
Article 2: Purpose
- 2.1 These Bylaws govern the Engineering Undergraduate Society Clubs and Engineering Undergraduate Society Design Teams, the Clubs Council, and the Clubs Representatives.
Article 3: Finance
- 3.1 Each EUS Club or Design Team shall operate their finances within the EUS, except for the following exceptions:
- 3.1.1 Clubs that are local chapters of national organizations
- 3.1.2 Design Teams that have FOA-PAL accounts with McGill University
- 3.2 EUS Clubs and Design Teams shall be subject to the Financial Bylaws of the EUS
- 3.3 EUS Clubs and Design Teams shall maintain a positive balance in their internal account at all times.
- 3.4 Upon the termination of an EUS Club or Design Team status, any funds retained by the EUS through their liability account shall be retained in that account until the end of the following academic year, after which point it will be absorbed into the EUS
- 3.4.1 If an EUS Club or Design Team regains status before the end of the following academic year, it shall retain the balance in its liability account.
- 3.4.2 If an EUS Club which has lost Club’s status is associated with an external organization, a cheque may be made out to that organization at the request of a member of the organization, at the discretion of the Vice President Finance of the EUS
- 3.4.3 The remaining balance of an EUS Club or Design Team which has lost its status cannot be paid out to an individual, except to reimburse for expenses as per standard EUS cheque requisition procedures.
TITLE II EUS CLUBS
Article 4: Requirements for Official Status
- 4.1 For a group to be officially recognized as an EUS Club, they must submit the following to the Executive Committee of the EUS for approval and fulfill all requirements:
- 4.1.1 The Current Constitution of the group, which must include the following:
- 18.104.22.168 The mission and purpose of the Club
- 22.214.171.124 The structure of the executive team of the club
- 126.96.36.199 The roles of each position on the executive team
- 188.8.131.52 A President and a Financial Officer
- 184.108.40.206 Process for selecting the new executive team for the group
- 220.127.116.11 Process for amending the Constitution
- 4.1.2 List of the executive team of the group, including which Faculty each is enrolled in at McGill;
- 18.104.22.168 At least two-thirds (2/3) of the executive team must be members of the EUS.
- 4.1.3 Explanation of the relevance of the group to the members of the EUS;
- 4.1.4 Tentative budget for the year, which must include expected revenue streams and expenditures;
- 4.1.5 Tentative schedule of events for the year;
- 4.1.6 A list of all members of the group, with student identification numbers.
- 4.1.7 The names of all EUS Clubs must adhere to the Memorandum of Agreement between McGill University and the EUS
- 4.1.1 The Current Constitution of the group, which must include the following:
- 4.2 An EUS Club may be approved without meeting all requirements above, at the discretion of the Executive Committee of the EUS
Article 5: Purpose Audit
- 5.1 Each EUS Club must undergo an annual Purpose Audit, coordinated by the Vice President Student Life of the EUS and aided by the Clubs Representative.
- 5.2 The intent of the Purpose Audit is to evaluate the relevance of the EUS Club to the members of the EUS and to verify if the requirements for official status are upheld as defined herein.
- 5.3 The Vice President Student Life of the EUS of the EUS shall set a deadline, in the Winter, for all EUS Clubs to submit the following:
- 5.3.1 An explanation of the relevance of the EUS Club to the members of the EUS;
- 5.3.2 A list of all members of the EUS Club, including student identification numbers.
- 5.3.3 A list of all events, with brief explanations, that were run that year.
- 5.3.4 The Vice President Student Life of the EUS shall review the documentation and activities of all EUS Clubs to evaluate their ongoing status as an EUS Club.
- 5.3.5 EUS Clubs not deemed satisfactory by the Vice President Student Life of the EUS shall be put under a probationary period which lasts at least a semester. At the end of this period, the Executive Committee shall re-evaluate their club status.
- 5.3.6 EUS Clubs who have lost their club status shall be allowed to appeal the decision to the EUS Council, provided that this appeal occurs before the end of the current academic year. A simple majority of the EUS Council will be needed to overrule the Executive Committee’s decision.
- 5.3.7 An EUS Club denied status may apply for Official Status again the following semester.
Article 6: Clubs Council
- 6.1 The purpose of the Clubs Council is:
- 6.1.1 To provide a forum for communication between all EUS Clubs;
- 6.1.2 To provide a forum for consistent feedback to the EUS from all EUS Clubs;
- 6.1.3 To enable the EUS to relay information to all EUS Clubs;
- 6.1.4 To ensure all EUS Clubs are fairly and appropriately represented both within the EUS and at EUS Council through the Vice President Student Life.
- 6.2 The Clubs Council shall convene at least once a semester.
- 6.2.1 Additional meetings may be called at the discretion of the Vice President Student Life.
- 6.3 All EUS Clubs must attend Clubs Council to retain official status.
- 6.4 Each EUS Club is entitled to one (1) vote for each vote taken at a meeting of the Clubs Council.
- 6.5 The Clubs Council shall consist of the following members:
- 6.5.1 The Vice President Student Life of the EUS
- 6.5.2 The Clubs Representative
- 6.5.3 One President from each EUS Club
- 22.214.171.124 Should an EUS Club have co-presidents, the co-presidents should attend the Council meeting. However, the EUS Club will only receive one (1) vote.
- 126.96.36.199 Should a President of an EUS Club not be able to attend, a proxy must be sent in their place
- 6.6 Should the Vice President Student Life of the EUS be a member of an EUS Club, a member of the Executive Committee shall replace them.
TITLE III DESIGN TEAMS
Article 7: Requirements for Official Status
- 7.1 To be considered a Design Team, a group must adhere to the following criteria:
- 7.1.1 It must have a Captain and a Financial Officer
- 7.1.2 It should have a written plan for the current and following two academic years, including a training plan for future recruits.
- 7.1.3 It must compete in at least one (1) recognized engineering competition each year.
- 188.8.131.52 If a team fails to compete in at least one (1) recognized engineering competition for two (2) consecutive years, and has received DTFC funds during that time, they shall not be eligible to receive DTFC funds for the subsequent year.
- 7.1.4 At least 75% of its membership must be members of the EUS
- 184.108.40.206 The membership list must be submitted to the Funds Director prior to the next meeting of the DTFC.
- 7.1.5 It should show to the members of the EUS that it is open and willing to accept new members.
- 7.1.6 It must receive a simple majority vote of approval from the Design Team Fund Committee
- 220.127.116.11 Votes should be based on the degree to which the team has fulfilled the requirements herein
Article 8: Compliance Audit
- 8.1 Each Design Team must undergo an annual Compliance Audit, coordinated by the Vice President Student Life of the EUS and approved at a meeting of the Design Team Fund Committee.
- 8.2 The intent of the Compliance Audit is to verify if the Design Team is upholding the requirements for official status as defined in these Bylaws.
TITLE IV REPRESENTATIVES TO EUS COUNCIL
Article 9: Clubs and Design Teams Representatives
- 9.1 There shall be one Clubs Representative selected from among the EUS Clubs and one Design Teams Representative selected from among the Design Teams (hereafter referred as “Representatives”)
- 9.2 The Representatives shall represent the views of all Clubs and Design Teams at EUS Council
- 9.3 The Representatives shall be voting members of EUS Council and must attend all meetings of the EUS Council.
- 9.4 The Representatives shall be selected under Selection Committee Bylaws during the winter recruitment period. The Selection Committee shall include, but is not limited to, the following members:
- 9.4.1 Either the incoming Vice President Student Life or a current member of the Executive Committee
- 9.4.2 The current Representative
- 9.4.3 The current Vice President Student Life
- 9.4.4 One (1) representative from each Club or Design Team, if the Group is interested.
- 9.5 The Representatives may not be selected from any incoming members of the EUS Council.
TITLE V AMENDMENTS AND INTERPRETATION
Article 10: Amendments
- 10.1 Amendments to these Bylaws must be approved by a simple majority vote of the Board of Governors of the EUS