CDE Delegation Selection Committee Policy
|What is a policy?|
- 1 Article 1: Definitions
- 2 Article 2: Purpose
- 3 Article 3: Membership
- 4 Article 4: Advertising of the Selection Committee
- 5 Article 5: Application
- 6 Article 6: Candidate Screening
- 7 Article 7: Interview Process
- 8 Article 8: Deliberations
- 9 Article 9: Presentation of Results
- 10 Article 10: Appeal
- 11 Article 11: Budget
- 12 Article 12: Amendments
- 13 Article 13: Interpretation
ENGINEERING UNDERGRADUATE SOCIETY OF MCGILL UNIVERSITY CONFERENCE ON DIVERSITY IN ENGINEERING DELEGATION SELECTION COMMITTEE Policy Adopted April 2012, Amended September 2015, August 2016, August 2017
Article 1: Definitions
- 1.1 The Engineering Undergraduate Society of McGill University (hereafter referred as “ EUS ”) is the registered name of the non-for-profit corporation representing the engineering and architecture undergraduate students at McGill University
- 1.2 The Board of Governors of the EUS is the administrative board of the Engineering Undergraduate Society of McGill University which is composed of Administrators as defined by the EUS Constitution
- 1.3 The EUS shall recognise all Departmental Societies, Clubs, and Design Teams set forth in the relevant articles of the EUS Constitution as EUS Groups
- 1.4 Selection Period : The period between September 1st and October 15th of the fall Semester.
- 1.5 Member-at-Large : A Regular member of the Engineering Undergraduate Society, hereafter referred to as the EUS, chosen by the EUS Council to sit on the Conference on Diversity in Engineering Delegation Selection Committee during the Selection Period.
Article 2: Purpose
- 2.1 The CDE Delegation Selection Committee shall select McGill CDE Delegation such that:
- 2.1.1 A minimum of one member shall compose the CDE McGill Delegation
- 2.1.2 The maximum number of members of the CDE McGill Delegation shall be determined by the allotted EUS budget, as requested by the Vice President External of the EUS, and at the discretion of the Vice President Finance of the EUS
Article 3: Membership
- 3.1 The CDE Delegation Selection Committee shall be composed of:
- 3.1.1 The Vice President External of the EUS, who shall act as Chair
- 3.1.2 One other member of the Executive Committee who shall not submit a CDE Delegate Application,
- 3.1.3 The EUS Equity Commissioner, who shall act as Head Delegate of McGill CDE delegation
- 3.1.4 Any number of Members-at-Large, who shall not submit a CDE Delegate Application, as deemed appropriate by the Chair.
- 3.2 Quorum shall be half the number of members on the committee plus one
- 3.3 Each member shall have one (1) vote.
Article 4: Advertising of the Selection Committee
- 4.1 There shall be a CDE Delegation Selection Advertising Campaign for a minimum of one week to publicize available CDE McGill Delegate(s) position(s).
- 4.2 The CDE Delegation Selection Committee Advertising Campaign will include the following activities:
- 4.2.1 Articles including information about CDE and how to apply in the Pipeline;
- 4.2.2 To make available sufficient copies of the CDE McGill Delegate Application Form as prepared by the Vice President External of the EUSand the EUS Equity Commissioner
- 4.3 CDE Delegation Selection Committee Advertising Campaign is the responsibility of the Vice President External of the EUS and the EUS Equity Commissioner
Article 5: Application
- 5.1 All applicants must fill out the CDE McGill Delegate Application Form and hand it in before the Application Deadline.
- 5.2 The application process shall last a minimum of five (5) school days.
- 5.3 If the number of Applications handed in by the Application deadline does not exceed the number of positions available, the deadline must be extended by at least two (2) school days.
Article 6: Candidate Screening
- 6.1 The CDE Delegation Selection Committee may reject an applicant prior to the interview if it deems that applicant to have put insufficient effort into properly completing the application form
- 6.2 The Chair may call an Application Review Meeting if it is deemed necessary to review any applications for possible rejection prior to interview
- 6.3 Quorum for an Application Review Meeting shall be the quorum as set by Article 3.2
- 6.4 Application Review Meetings shall be considered confidential.
- 6.5 The rejection of an applicant prior to interview shall require a two-thirds (2/3) majority vote in favor at an Application Review meeting
Article 7: Interview Process
- 7.1 All members of the CDE Delegation Selection Committee shall be provided with a confidentiality waiver to be signed at the beginning of each of the sessions
- 7.2 Interviews shall be considered closed, and no record of the proceedings shall be published or made public.
- 7.3 Each candidate for a position shall be asked the identical set of questions. Only questions pertaining to specific information in a candidate’s application may be posed to one candidate and not all others.
Article 8: Deliberations
- 8.1 After the completion of all the interviews, the CDE Delegation Selection Committee shall meet to deliberate and select from amongst the candidates
- 8.2 No records of the deliberations shall be kept, and no record of the proceedings other than the final decision of the CDE Delegation Selection Committee shall be made public
- 8.3 No member of the Selection Committee who was not present for the interviews with every candidate for a given position may vote in the proceedings
Article 9: Presentation of Results
- 9.1 The final decisions of CDE Delegation Selection Committee shall be posted following the conclusion of its session
- 9.2 The decisions of the Selection Committee shall also be presented by the Vice-President External during the “Reports from Committees” agenda item at the next meeting of the EUS Council
- 9.3 Decisions made in favor of an Associated Member of the EUS shall be subject to ratification by EUS Council, as prescribed by the EUS Constitution
- 9.4 During meetings of the EUS Council, only procedural questions will be permitted regarding the Selection Committee, and those questions will be answered only by the Vice President External of the EUS
Article 10: Appeal
- 10.1 Applicants who were rejected shall have five (5) school days to appeal the decision of the CDE Delegation Selection Committee by submitting an appeal to the Chair of the Appeal Selection Committee, hereafter called ASC. The grounds for the appeal must be specified.
- 10.2 The ASC shall then re-interview all applicants for the position in question. Applicants shall be made aware of the appeal and the grounds cited for the appeal, and the questions asked during the interview shall be limited to those pertaining to the appeal
- 10.3 No new applications will be considered at this time.
- 10.4 The decision of the ASC following appeal deliberations shall be posted following the conclusion of the deliberation meeting.
- 10.5 Should the appealing party wish to further pursue the appeal, both the appealing party and the party which was chosen by the ASC shall be given speaking rights at the meeting of the EUS council during which the ASC decisions are to be ratified.
- 10.6 Ratification by the EUS Council shall be final and binding, and no further appeal shall be considered
Article 11: Budget
- 11.1 All members of the CDE Delegation Selection Committee, and any person attending an interview with the exception of those people being interviewed, shall be required to complete, sign and submit a confidentiality agreement.
- 11.2 Violation of the confidentiality agreement will subject the offender to consequences to be determined by the EUS Council.
Article 12: Amendments
- 12.1 Amendments to this policy must be approved by a simple majority vote of the Board of Governors
Article 13: Interpretation
- 13.1 In the case of a conflict between this policy and the following documents, the following documents prevail in the order they are listed in:
- 13.1.1The Quebec Companies Act
- 13.1.2The EUS Letters Patent
- 13.1.3The EUS Constitution
- 13.1.4The EUS Bylaws